Have you ever had a desktop or laptop hard drive fail on you? At SOBXTech, we can’t stress enough about backing up your computers at least once a week. We have listed the steps to replace a hard drive. We thought it might be interesting to show a few pictures from a recent hard drive replacement job we handled. This laptop was missing its battery, A/C adapter and needed an operating system installed.
There are some steps before you make a decision about replacing your hard drive.
- If your hard drive is still working, make sure that you make a recovery disk or image by using backup or recovery software.
- Obtain a new hard drive– Make sure you purchase the right type of hard drive for your computer.
- Hard drives come with either SATA (Serial ATA) or IDE data/power connectors. Hard drives may either come in a 2.5 inch for laptops or a 3.5 inch for desktops.
- Take precautions when touching electronic components. Improper handling of electronic components can cause damage to computer parts. To avoid this, you must ground yourself when operating inside your computer by using an anti-static wrist strap.
- Opening the computer case- To open a desktop case, you need to remove the screws and slide the panel off. To get to the hard drive of a laptop, simply turn your computer over and remove the screws. Then take the cover off.
- Locate the existing hard drive. Most computers will have the hard drive screwed within a cage inside the computer case. For desktops, identify the data and the power connectors and disconnect them.
To put the new one in, just reverse the steps.
We thought it might be interesting to show a few pictures from a recent hard drive replacement job we handled. This laptop was missing its battery, A/C adapter and needed an operating system installed.
After opening up the laptop, we did a quick assessment and diagnosis. At the completion of the diagnosis, we had to replace the battery, A/C adapter and it needed a new 500 GB hard drive. We went ahead and made the necessary calls to get the replacement recovery software from the manufacturer.
Have you thought about upgrading your operating system, more storage space or more memory? Do you have questions about upgrading?
Not sure what operating system you should have. Don’t hesitate to give us a call at 252-285-9592 or find us on social media @sobxtech.